Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Generosity and a new mission

This year I have been the recipient of countless acts of generosity from friends, family and even complete strangers.
It occurred to me that in all of my travelling to different races, I have yet to stay in a hotel on my own. In Texas I stayed with the group from BeginnerTriathlete, at WildFlower I hooked up with a crew from RaceAthlete, I stayed with a client that I coach for EagleMan, had a fantastic homestay in Germany, slept at Billy's for 5430 in Boulder and for IM Louisville I stayed with Keith and Kelly at a friend of Keith's. This stay was particularly great because of the location and the pad itself. It was a super nice condo that was literally a 3 minute walk to transition! On race morning I went to transition, got set up, and went back to the condo to put on the race gear and stretch. At WildFlower the R.V. was a short walk to where I took a water taxi to the transition. In Roth we were a 15 min. walk to the start. When I stayed with Billy for 5430, it was just a 10 min. drive to the start. All of this makes a hard day of racing a little bit easier.
I am very grateful to all of these people who opened up a spot in their home, RV and condo to me. It allowed me to go to races and see places that I would not have been able to otherwise. I hope to be able to do the same for other triathletes in the near future. I like to think that this sort of generosity is part of the sport of triathlon. Since triathlon is more of a lifestyle than just a sport, I think triathletes of every ability have a bond. Triathlon is also a social sport and triathlete's like to share the joy, frustration and fun of training and racing. This year I have also had tremendous support from my sponsors. Some of my sponsors I have been with for a few years, and others are new, but they have all been there to help me with equipment, training and racing. Marco at Descente, Haley at FRS, Paul at Kuota, Guy and Ben at BlueSeventy, Jamie at Saucony, Erik at Oakley and Mike at D3 Multisport. All of these people have helped me get to where I am now, and I hope that in a small way I can repay their faith in me.
Of course there are the behind the scenes people that may not be a "sponsor" but who are vital to me. Courtney, my parents, my in laws, and friends like Kim, Scott, Kelly, Billy and a host of others. Thank you to all of those who helped me in my journey this year.
The journey isn't quite over yet either. Two weeks ago I contacted the folks at NAS and signed up for IM Wisconsin. It sounds crazy I know, but I feel like taking on this challenge. In keeping with the theme of generosity, Scott, who is racing, is letting Court and I crash at the home they are renting. Plus, Sept. 9 is not only the day of the race, but it's Court's birthday. Add in the fact that her parents are in the Chicago suburbs and would love to see her, and it was an easy decision. I raced Wisconsin in 2002 as my first IM, so it has some special meaning for me. I am not expecting to set a PR and will just take the day as it comes. I think the swim and bike will be OK, but the run may be a struggle. Then again, anything can happen during an IM, so I will keep a positive attitude and go as fast as I can.

No comments: